Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Decreasing numbers of players  (Read 9182 times)

Offline MR SPOCK

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Decreasing numbers of players
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »
 With the world cup nearly upon us the RFU should have been investing in local grass roots rugby and encouraging the take up of rugby at school level over the last couple of seasons. They must be aware that the changing working environment for young players prevents them from working every week,and they should be trying to address this problem,   seems to me their only interested in the Premiership and championship and the rest of us dont matter   

Offline duckandcover

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Decreasing numbers of players
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »
How would you address the problem of young players working weekends?

I think your view of the RFU is a little short sighted.

Look at Wallsend they have their first ever permanent home. I don't think you could get more grass root than a club without a clubhouse languishing towards the bottom of DN2.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/wallsend/news/wallsend-rfc-open-new-permanent-home-1306506.html

West Hartlepool are also currently building their new club house which is set to be built in February.

http://official.sportnetwork.net/main/west-hartlepool--official/s16/st122742/stan-the-camel

The RFU also run an inclusion scheme which aims to get people regardless of background playing the sport.

http://www.rfu.com/abouttherfu/inclusion

The RFU also sell products where the profits are put right back into the game rather than their back pocket.

I think that it is easy to say the RFU could do more but the responsibility lies at the feet of the club. If you want the uptake of the sport in schools in your clubs area get involved, you could offer rugby taster sessions to try and get the youth passionate about the sport.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »
I have EVERY sympathy for players who have more pressing commitments to their job and family

However, work and family commitments aren't the only thing getting in the way of putting shirts on players backs.  It boils my blood to think that I could walk into any bar in Seaham on any given Saturday afternoon and find enough handy looking lads to field two or three teams.  The same could be said for the times that tally with training sessions.  I just can't understand the mentality of them - they've got all weekend to drink yet choose to pee their lives up the wall when they should be making the most of their youth and fitness.

Added to that the fact that some lads can't get it into their heads that you can still have a game of rugby with your mates even though you've finally managed to get yourself a girlfriend.  Seems to me that some are so under the thumb that they'd rather get dragged around the shops on a Saturday afternoon when they are all open for the other six days of the week these days.

I try to advocate that they'll look back on their lives in years to come and wish they'd done a bit more with their lives - but sometimes you can't tell any of them anything.

Offline Silentassassin

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »
Hahaha agree totally with the situation with girlfriends....  We had a young lad last Saturday, phone up and say he was goin to be late for the meet time because he was goin to get his hair cut with his girlfriend........ We were all gob smacked lol. Kids these days eh

Offline Aidanb

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 02:50:49 PM »
and this is where the hard work of the committee comes in.

get the rugby off saturday afternoons only and get the taster sessions going.

the 7's things in the summer are ideal for that.

in the winter it's harder but you are busy running the leage programme.

Offer these young pub larks a half hour of running around on a friday evening in 7's as a taster

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 05:51:06 PM »
I'm sorry to say but the rugby structure is far too rigid. It's all about league rugby, that's all that matters.

Some lads (and lasses) aren't available on Saturdays at all, as a sport we need to offer alternatives. Midweek fixtures, Friday nights etc, if we keep people in the sport they will move with their own availability. If they aren't available on Saturdays now but circumstances change in 2/3 years time and they are then they are less likely to come back from a long break, they are lost to the game.

The clubs, committees, volunteers and administrators all need to crack this! Test the water, some clubs who have the facilities should set up fixtures midweek, see how many are interested. You never know, with all the social media out there it shouldn't be that hard to seek out availability.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »
There's too much league rugby and too much emphasis on winning.

Reduce the league fixtures and some of the lads may fancy a fun runabout a bit more.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »
I do like the idea of the odd mid week fixture as well

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »
Friday night lights - Novos vets played Alnwick in front of about 150 people, a bumper bar night. Imagine the falcons getting involved and playing some headline games at KP under lights.

Its the future of rugby, Saturday afternoons are great but some variety would open the local rugby scene right up 8)
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Rocking Horse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 09:18:49 PM »
A couple of us mentioned this at Rock at the weekend. A definite preference for early games even on a Saturday. I defiantly agree about Friday evenings. Local derby's would work although I think it should be the clubs involved that reap the bar rewards.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 08:00:42 AM »
I know Winlaton have a whole host of players, probably a good social standard, mix of vets and young ones who would play.

We have lights too, so those that are involved at the clubs should start to talk, get some arranged.

Offline Asmallhob2

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »
We requested a week free due to a club wedding last December which involved a lot of players. Request was made before the fixtures where proposed or arranged in the summer.  RFU / Durham ignored the request and organised a game for the same week even after months of notice. Hugely disappointing and difficult to manage. Sunday morning football allows 2 fixtures to be rearranged per season if a set period of prior notice is given. Something which wouldn't hurt rugby.

Flexibility of fixtures would be so much better. Saturday morning and Friday nights could help a lot of clubs and increase participation both playing and watching, especially those weeks that fixtures clash with big international matches.

Finally I would love the rfu to set up junior leagues on a Saturday morning allowing young players to have an alternative to Sunday's. This would stop them having to choose between football and rugby at such a young age and allow them a chance at both and let them develop some skills which they can use later.

Offline Mike D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
Its easy enough to blame the RFU for clubs not attracting players. The truth is that it is the clubs responsibility to attract the players. If you require any help or equipment from the RFU to get any initiative off the ground you only need to approach them. My experience is that they will help out in any way they can.

I know that the RFU are looking at fixture times in the amateur game for when the world cup is on next season. 

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
I'm a fan of the RFU to be honest but I wish they could structure internationals to avoid clashes with grass roots kick off times (2:15s). Many of our supporters at Seaham are 'England mad' and were torn between watching our league fixture and the Autumn internationals, which were 2:30s.

At least when they have the 5:00 kick offs, everybody has had a game, a shower, a feed and is more than likely in a bar with a pint in hand. We all know that if there is a game on the big screen, increased sales are more likely. It should be a 'no brainer' really

Offline Glassankle

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
I agree Neil, I've only been to see England once in all my years of playing rugby. A lot of my mates who don't play often ask me about the latest England game, and I've never seen it as I'm playing and not see the recording of it yet. 5pm kick offs are the way forward.