Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I hope not  (Read 852 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: I hope not
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
Yeah quite a worrying series of events at the top of our game.

The lads feel they need to be bigger to compete. Which is obviously not great for the future of our game.

I remember in Dallaglio's book he talks about the change from amateur rugby to professionalism. The changeover from one to the other was fine as it was basically the same as before and the status quo.

You'd train for the club (focusing mainly on skills), maybe the odd gym workout chucked in for good measure.

But around the time he retired there was a change. It was all about the gym and working out and less about the skill.

Worrying times.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: I hope not
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »
The fact that a lot of the players wear body armour as well gives them the (sometimes foolish and reckless) confidence to put in some enormous hits that are no good for themselves in the long run, never mind the opponents they are trying to "SMASH".

Its no coincidence that retirement ages are lowering year by year in many areas of the game. I played as a tight head prop from my first year in senior school right the way up until I was 39. I had my fair share of injuries over the years but always bounced back and retired on doctor's orders when he told me I already had the neck of a 50 year old and it was time for damage limitation.

My body had been telling me to retire for years before I did but I foolishly never listened. But, if I had my time back I'd do it all again. I fear that many others won't have this choice. Rugby is a contact sport and not a combat sport. Enjoy it!!!