Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Who's going to have the merriest Christmas this year?

Newcastle
1 (20%)
Sunderland
4 (80%)
Draw
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Tyne/Wear Derby  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Tyne/Wear Derby
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »
Its that time of year again and the region's two biggest clubs come together to see who are going to have the bragging rights. This year's fixture has an added edge as its so close to Christmas and the result will have a massive influence on how the festive period is enjoyed by the respective fan groups.

How do you think it will turn out?

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Tyne/Wear Derby
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »
Even though rugby will always be my first love (sports wise), I am Sunderland born and bred and like to see my home club do well. Being an away fixture, and having a few mates who are black n whites, I'd normally settle for a draw to keep the peace. But, backed into a corner, I'll back Sunderland to win a proper blood and guts local derby by a narrow margin.

HAWAY THE LADS

Offline Aidanb

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »
I gave up on football years ago.

I used to be a passionate nufc fan but got very bored and haven't seen anything worthwhile making a return to being even interested.

I still watch the odd game but don't have any real investment in the outcome.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
I rarely watch a live game, and if I do I tend to ignore the bullshit commentary. However, derby day tends to fetch the tribal side out of everyone and we always like to see our home town club do well. Its the banter that goes with it that I enjoy, even when our teams lose and we have to grin and bear it. This is the hottest derby in the UK for me.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
I had a season ticket for 13 seasons, packed in this year.

I avidly followed them home and away and abroad for many years! I find it wholly embarrassing the way Sunderland have beaten us 3-0 at home two season's in a row and I can see them winning again on Sunday judging by Newcastle's last two performances.

Hopefully Northumbria Police's laissez-faire approach to policing the game on Sunday will work! Somehow I don't think it will unfortunately

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
I do hope the police are on the ball this Sunday. I'd like to think that relationships between the clubs have never been much healthier and there is an air of mutual respect in the wake of that plane crash where those 2 poor NUFC lads were killed.

However, taking my rose tinted specs off and being realistic for a moment, its the Tyne/Wear derby for heaven's sake. Those from outside of our two fine cities won't appreciate what our rivalry means to both clubs. The atmosphere is always bouncing and tensions will be at boiling point thanks to the very small minority of scumbags (on both sides) who aren't primarily focussed on the football side of the occasion and just want to hurt the opposition.

I hope that doesn't detract from the spirit of the game. I'd love to see SAFC win but would happily settle for a draw... and a Happy Christmas and successful 2015 for both sides  :)

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 04:51:21 PM »
(Not just saying this because we nicked it but...) It was a cracking game to watch - well I imagine it would have been for those neautrals who didn't have chewed fingernails all over the carpet.

Newcastle got off to a flier then Sunderland gradually got a foothold in the game. Second half followed a similar pattern but the hosts looked a lot more sharp with Armstrong's pace (at 17 he really does have the potential to be the next Rooney, if not better).

Personally speaking, I thought Connor Wickham and Jordi Gomez wanted shooting for missing those two open goals but our keeper did a great job in keeping them at bay. Adam Johnson did well to net the winner but even if it had ended all square we couldn't have had any complaints. The 52/48% possession and other stats were almost identical and proved just how balanced the game was.

Biggest "gee-up" goes to both sets of supporters who were impeccable in their observation of both sets of planned applause. They may not be the sweetest of friends on match days but they all showed true class and proved why this is the greatest derby match in the world, bar none.

From the bottom of my heart - Merry Christmas and a Happy 2015 to both teams and their fantastic sets of fans. Your region is proud of you all  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:01:37 AM by Neil Roseberry »