Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gusibrough favourites for the title?  (Read 9324 times)

Offline semajdrib

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Gusibrough favourites for the title?
« on: January 05, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
Nice to see Guisborough get a big win in the top of the table clash at the weekend (As this report states the Peth don't like traveling south of the Tees http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/amateur-rugby/morpeth-rfc-one-step-backwards-8097961). It will make it very interesting for the rest of the season. Still one point behind but with a much greater points for column it seems like Guisborough are in the ascendancy!

"my own belief is that they should scrap the play-off and just say it is one up from each league."
I wonder if the Peth Management would still be for scrapping the playoff system now...........?

Offline 1066

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
Re: Gusibrough favourites for the title?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »
Yes I,ve read the article and it was a good win for Guisborough,long way to go yet though and if we did end up in the playoffs again I would love us to have enough points to play at home against one of Yorkshire,s finest.After we lost a couple of games early in the season I predicted that I thought Guis would win with Darlo 2nd. Come On Darlo  ;)

Offline semajdrib

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »
As things stand the 2nd placed team in DN1 would be away in the playoff against Malton and Norton. Its very tight Y1 62 points and DN1 61 points. Its been very tough on Guisborough in the playoffs in the last two years I'm sure they are desperate to finish top and not have to deal with the one off game but I would fancy their chances at home against Malton (based on playing against them last term). Having said that Malton are one of those clubs that 100% spend money on recruiting players so they may have changed a bit from last seasons relegation.

Offline 1066

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
hmm its not good to be buying players,for me a very good coach who can inspire local talent to excel and believe they can beat anyone is the recipe for success.

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:40 PM »
Remember playing guisboro a few yr ago in div2 when they went up into div1 with acklam the season before that they were a dn3 team remember thinking they'll come straight back down but I've certainly been proved wrong 2 very unlucky playoff defeats away from home against two teams that have both done well in the league above. Best of luck to guisboro hope they go up as champions with a bit more luck than horden are having

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »
I'd bet Morpeth as a club are happier this season than last and wouldn't be too devastated if they didn't get promoted. 

Also if Guisboro' do go up (or even if they don't actually) I hope they reconsider their stance where their 2nd XV play in the Tees Valley Social League and haven't lost a game as they are playing 3rd XVs from other clubs in the league such as Darlington, Stockton and Rovers as well as Acklam who are the in the league below.  It can't be a good situation for player development.  Can you imagine the step up from playing Social League one week to NE1 the week after?

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:52:10 PM »
I agree, they need to be playing CANDY league to push the fringe players on.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »
They probably do, but at the moment their seconds would be destroyed in the Candy league, which would probably result in them losing players. A potentially very difficult situation.

Offline 1066

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »
Your right Teessidewire they probably would,but you learn more from defeat than you do from easy victories.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 07:34:13 AM »
I haven't come across them but Candy 2 wouldn't be too high a step I think. There would be plenty of winnable games based on the results they have been getting so far.

Offline Macca1709

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 09:43:19 AM »
This is true and I agree but last season saw Guisborough struggling to raise a 2nd team for the majority of weeks (I'd say 50% of weeks). This meant that they had to cancel pre-arranged fixtures in a competitive league which is never good nor does it portray the club in a good light. The club was also losing revenue; by ordering food and bar staff etc for Saturdays then having to cancel late in the week and also because lads weren't paying thier yearly subs as some only played a handful of games. This year is almost like a consolidation year for the club to start the second team over again and to get the lads back down enjoying their rugby. Like I said, I agree but I think this year is a year too early, especially after last year.

Offline duckandcover

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
If Guisborough were struggling to raise a second team last season then they certainly have turned things around 34 were on the team sheet against Barnard Castle according to their website.

Offline Macca1709

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »
It's alway the same around the holiday period...lads home visiting family, back from Uni, lads + dads fancy a a daft run around together then a few pints. Happens every year at Christmas

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 11:48:02 AM »
Well the club need congratulating if they are competing at the top of level 7 without running a regular 2nd team. Let's hope their ascendency continues as I've always liked them as a club and enjoy playing against them over the years.

Offline Flanker 7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »
Like Macca said.  The numbers have improved under the new captain.  We have even turned a 3rd team out.  The plan for next year is to step back up into a league.  Candy 2 or TVL.